Social mobility ambassadors
Our social mobility ambassadors scheme promotes role models from non-traditional backgrounds who have achieved their ambitions and are willing to support their peers within the profession and prospective solicitors.
About the scheme
We select 10 solicitor ambassadors every two to three years to share their experiences of entering the legal profession, including the challenges they faced and how they overcame them.
Reflecting on their career path, each ambassador gives practical tips and advice on pursuing a career in law, providing inspiration and valuable insight for students considering a legal career.
By showcasing our ambassadors’ achievements and sharing their stories, we hope to show that, regardless of social background, the profession welcomes talent, tenacity and a strong work ethic.
Applications for new social mobility ambassadors for 2020 closed on 4 May 2020.
The ambassadors will be announced later this year.
The role of the ambassadors
Our social mobility ambassadors form a network of solicitors who are committed to sharing their stories and raising the aspirations of students and graduates interested in joining the profession.
The role of a social mobility ambassador includes:
- sharing how they became a solicitor
- raising the profile of social mobility and fair access in the legal profession
- helping people who want to be solicitors understand the legal profession
- mentoring students, formally or informally, including those on the Diversity Access Scheme
- taking part in the selection and interview process for the Diversity Access Scheme
- writing articles on diversity and inclusion
- networking with local law societies
We do this through:
- university and school events
- formal and informal mentoring programmes
- workshops to help people who want to be solicitors through the interview and application process
- publishing interviews and case studies giving advice from our ambassadors
- Ask an ambassador, allowing solicitors and aspiring solicitors to ask the ambassadors questions
Ask an ambassador
Email email@example.com if you have any questions for our ambassadors, including if you:
- are interested in becoming an ambassador and want to find out more about the process
- are a student or a graduate interested in a career in law and would like to ask the ambassadors a question
- would like us to send you copies of the ambassador booklet
- would like to invite a social mobility ambassador to your organisation, school or university