Join our Property Section committee
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Property Section committee.
The Property Section is the community for residential and commercial property practitioners, providing members with practical support to achieve best practice.
The Section's annual programme is designed with input from residential and commercial professionals, and landlord and tenant legal experts, and with access to government and key market influencers, including the Land Registry and the Council of Mortgage Lenders.
- help us keep members up to date with recent developments
- take part in virtual working and task groups for various projects
- support on planning conferences, magazines and events
What’s in it for you?
As a committee member you will have the opportunity to:
- influence, inform and shape the Law Society’s support to property practioners across England and Wales
- showcase your expertise and raise your profile with our 200,000 members
- expand your professional network and connections
- work closely with knowledgeable and enthusiastic peers and staff
What we’re looking for
We’d like to hear from commercial and residential property legal experts across the UK and from firms and departments of all sizes.
We're interested in diverse and well-rounded committee members who have:
- sound knowledge and understanding of the key issues and challenges in their area of expertise
- the experience and personal drive to deliver support and offer innovative ideas
- commitment to serving the legal community
A big part of the committee members’ contribution is to help us design, deliver and disseminate content such as events, so you should be prepared to:
- speak, chair and present to large audiences of peers and clients
- utilise your network of contacts
- contribute to written articles
We estimate the average time commitment, spread out across the year, to be half an hour a week. This includes:
- quarterly committee meetings
- working groups or projects
Meetings usually take place online, with up to two committee meetings per year taking place in-person in London (with opportunity to participate online).
We’ll reimburse travel expenses according to our expenses policy.
Appointments start in February 2023.
Committee members will serve a term of up to three years, backdated to 1 November 2022.
After three years, you’ll have the opportunity to apply for a further three-year term.
Committee members can serve for a maximum of six years.
How to apply
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your CV
- a statement of up to 500 words, outlining how you can assist the Law Society to support property practitioners, including practical examples
The deadline is midnight on Friday 27 January 2023.
Appointments will be made on merit, based on experience, expertise and skills.
A selection panel will consider the applications and we’ll contact shortlisted candidates.
Virtual interviews are likely to take place between 23 January and 10 February.
The first committee meeting is on 7 February 2023.