The Women Lawyers Division (WLD) was set up to help improve the experiences of women solicitors in the profession.
We are looking for new members of the division’s steering committee.
The role is open to women solicitors who are committed to supporting women in the profession and achieving gender equality.
Our aim is to create a committee that accurately represents the diversity of the profession as a whole. Applications from newly qualified and senior solicitors are equally welcome.
Who we are
The WLD was established in 2013 to support women lawyers, bring them together to share best practice, and address issues and challenges in a supportive environment.
Membership of the division is free and open to all women solicitors within England and Wales.
Members benefit from excellent networking opportunities through a programme of events, up-to-date opinions from industry experts, latest news articles, interviews, access to our social networks and other services.
What we do
The WLD gives members the opportunity to:
- discuss issues concerning the profession, particularly those that affect women
- benefit from training, advice, and career guidance
- network and connect with other women lawyers
- make sure their views are heard by the Law Society
- contribute to gender equality campaigns, lobbying activities and consultations.
- have a clean record/regulatory history with the SRA
- be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of the issues facing women solicitors
- be able to outline ideas for the development of the division’s services
The ideal candidate will also have:
- creative and forward-thinking ideas for events, articles, projects or social media posts on how to tackle these issues with finite resources
- a good track record of collaborative working and of contributing to inclusivity and diversity issues either as an employee or as a volunteer
Appointments will be based on merit, following an open and transparent selection process.
The deadline for return of applications is 2pm on 21 October.
Shortlisting of applications will take place by 1 November.
All candidates will be contacted by 4 November to inform them if they have been shortlisted.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview at the Law Society in London on 8 November. An exact timetable will be put together in liaison with candidates.
The appointment of new committee members will be confirmed in writing by 14 November.
The first committee meeting after the appointment is scheduled to take place on 21 November from 5.30pm to 7.30pm at the Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London.
Download the application form (Word 49 KB)
Email your completed application to our Women Lawyers Division team.
Let us know if you require any assistance with completing your application.
About the Law Society
The Law Society is the independent professional body that works globally to support and represent solicitors, promoting the highest professional standards, the public interest and the rule of law.